Help support Cork Safety Alerts by becoming a ‘Supporter’ and donating a small amount each month to help with the running of our website, server and organisation! Click here to become a CSA Supporter.
Today, March 28th 2020, Government have issue a statement on the New Public Health Measures effective now to prevent further spread of COVID-19. These include information on ‘Essential Services.’
Stay at home in all circumstances, except in the following situations:
- To travel to and from work where the work is considered an essential service.
- To attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products for yourself, your family or someone who is vulnerable or cocooning
- For vital family reasons including caring for children, elderly or vulnerable people but excluding social family visits
- To take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household within 2 kilometres of your home and adhering to strict 2 metre social distancing measures
- You cannot arrange a gathering with anybody you do not live with.
Cocooning will be introduced for those over 70 years of age and those who are extremely medically vulnerable to COVID-19.
- Everyone who can work from home must work from home. This includes essential workers and workers in essential government, utilities or other functions.
- Adult community education centres and local community centres are closed
- All essential services should ensure safe working conditions are in place
- Specific advice will be available from the Health and Safety Authority
- All non-essential surgery, health procedures and other non-essential health services are postponed
- All visits to hospitals, residential healthcare centres, other residential settings are prisons are stopped with specific exemptions on compassionate grounds
- Pharmacists are to be allowed by law to dispense medicines outside the dates spelled out in prescriptions according to their own professional judgement
- Manufacturers will be called on to adapt their manufacturing capacity to produce personal protective equipment (PPE), equipment, masks and other essential products for national market, including hand gels and other essential medicines and products by pharmacies
Transport and Travel
Travel restrictions will be implemented as follows:
- There will be a nationwide restriction on travel outside of 2 kilometres from your place of residence, except for the restrictions listed above
- Public transport and passenger travel will be restricted to essential workers
- Travel to Ireland’s offshore islands is limited only to residents of those islands
- Local authorities will relax on-street parking laws to meet the travel needs of essential workers
- The arrival of personal non-national maritime leisure vessels is banned (except to exceptions as ‘port in a storm’)
Legislation and Regulation
The measure above will be reflected in the regulations to be made under the Health (Preservation and Protection and Other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2000 and will be enforced by the Garda Síochána.
Want to get €5, absolutely free? Sign up to the ‘Smart’ Debit Card – Curve today, and earn a fiver on us! Find out more here.