As part of Operation Tara, 11 additional Gardaí were assigned to drug units within Cork city in mid-June of this year. Speaking today, Superintendent Michael Comyns said:
In the last 24 hours, our units have made five detections for suspected drug dealing. Our additional Gardaí on Operation Tara, including our City Centre Policing Unit, and reduction in footfall in general because of the pandemic, has led to most crimes seeing a reduction. What we are also seeing is a significant increase in our detections for sale and supply of drugs.
Since the City Centre Policing Unit was created and our members were temporarily assigned to our drugs units, we have noticed there has been a fall in visible drugs use and drug dealing in the city centre but we are still making significant arrests. All of our Gardaí continue to maintain Cork as being a safe environment for residents, businesses and visitors. If you notice any drug use or suspected drug dealing, please call us.
The five incidents referred to are:
- Nov 12 at 10am on Grand Parade. €200 of cannabis herb in small bags seized. The bags were hidden inside a small plastic egg. No arrest made but Gardaí are following a definite line of enquiry.
- Nov 12 at 8pm in Blarney. House searched under warrant resulting in the seizure of €1,200 of cannabis herb, €1150 in cash, a mobile phone and a weighing scales. Man, aged in his 20s, arrested.
- Nov 13 at 5pm in Popes Quay. House searched under warrant resulting in the seizure of €2,500 of cocaine that was hidden in a spray can, €500 of cannabis herb, a weighing scales and small plastic bags.
- Nov 13 at 8pm in Bishopstown. House search under warrant resulting in the seizure of €12,000 of cocaine and €1,600. Man, aged in his 20s arrested.
- Nov 14 at 1.30am at Bridewell Garda Station. Man brought to the station for a drug search and found in possession of 12 bags of cocaine worth €850.
All of the drugs are subject to analysis.
Want to get €5, absolutely free? Sign up to the ‘Smart’ Debit Card – Curve today, and earn a fiver on us! Find out more here.