It is three years this June since Carrigtwohill GAA Club held the 2017 Camán Till Dawn overnight puckathon to raise metal mental health awareness and almost €11,000 for Pieta. As we cannot use the club facilities for the foreseeable future, we are going to run around the streets of Carrigtwohill to yet again raise mental health awareness and also to fundraise for Pieta. on Saturday, 20th June is the longest day of the year and sunset is 9.57pm.
We are going to add one minute in memory of each the three young men in whose memory we held the 2017 event and give ourselves a 10pm sunset deadline to complete a relay marathon in 3 hours. There will be six legs to the marathon and the starter’s gun will go off at 7pm. Representatives of the Camogie, Ladies Football, Juvenile and Adult clubs will run in relay, doing six 7km loops of the village.
They will be clocking up 26.2 miles (42.2km) and trying to get home by sunset in their effort to achieve the three hour target on the third anniversary of our event in memory of three former Carrigtwohill GAA Club members who died by suicide.
The legs of the relay and team are as follows:
- Leg 1 (10k) – Ladies Football: Maedhbh de Búrca, Ciara Walsh & Dave Sullivan
- Leg 2 (8.2k) – Juvenile Club & Minors: Cian O’Riordan
- Leg 3 (5k) – Camogie: Tanya Carroll & Natasha Cooney
- Leg 4 (7k) – U21s: Aaron Walsh Barry
- Leg 5 (7k) – Juniors & Seniors: Jamie McCarthy
- Leg 6 (5k) – Supporters & Retired Players: Niall McCarthy Replacements: Seán de Búrca, Tomás Hogan Team Coach & Mentor: Kieran Brennan
This event is all about raising mental health awareness in the community. We are asking the community to get involved and are hoping that people will do the following, if they can:
* Spread the word about the event. * Get out your Camán Till Dawn t-shirts from the 2017 event and wear them on the evening. If they don’t fit you anymore (!), hang the t-shirts out your windows or make flags out of them. * Support us on the evening by cheering on the runners, preferably from outside your house in a SOCIALLY DISTANCED manner. Please maintain social distancing, as all the good will be taken from the event if people congregate and do not adhere to the guidelines. * If you can, please donate to Pieta at:
Please support us as we seek to raise mental health awareness and much needed funds for Pieta, which provides a vital service to help prevent suicide.
For more information, please visit our website and Facebook pages:
Want to get €5, absolutely free? Sign up to the ‘Smart’ Debit Card – Curve today, and earn a fiver on us! Find out more here.