Help support Cork Safety Alerts by becoming a ‘Supporter’ and donating a small amount each month to help with the running of our website, server and organisation! Click here to become a CSA Supporter.
Our list of tips for keeping safe during #StormBrendan:
- Garden furniture is secured, or tied down. Best put that BBQ in the shed.
- Waste bins are secured, and in a safe place.
- Christmas decorations are removed, secured, or taken indoors.
- Ensure pets are taken inside.
- Ensure devices such as phones, laptops and tablets are charged in advance
- Close and fasten any windows, and doors.
- Stay away from any coastal areas, or beaches.
- Remain indoors, and don’t travel unless absolutely necessary.
- Take heed, and listen to all warnings issued by Met Eireann and local authorities.
- If you do need to drive, take extra care on the roads and expect falling/fallen debris. Keep a safe distance from the car in front of you.
- Should you come across downed power cables, stay clear and do not touch them. It’s also important to not touch any item that’s come in contact with them – such as another vehicle. Report the issue to ESB Networks: 1850 372 999.
- Check ESB Networks Powercheck for details on power outages. If you experience a power outage, contact ESB Networks on 1850 372 999 and have your MPRN ready.
- Check on any venerable neighbours, or elderly people living in your vicinity.
It may also be useful to prepare a ‘Storm Kit,’ just in case:
- Power Bank / Battery Pack
- First Aid Kit
- Bottled Water
- Print our list of emergency contact numbers which you may need.
Travel may be disrupted as a result of #StormBrendan, so it’s best to check with your individual airlines or Cork Airport for cancellations, or delay information.
Want to get €5, absolutely free? Sign up to the ‘Smart’ Debit Card – Curve today, and earn a fiver on us! Find out more here.