Local community and voluntary groups in Middle Parish continue to support those most vulnerable in the community during the Covid 19 pandemic.
Working alongside the Cork City Community Response Forum (CRF), volunteers are working tirelessly to ensure everyone is being well looked after from helping to deliver home cooked meals, make face masks, to tackling social isolation.
Some recent highlights include:
- Local Gardaí are helping to deliver vital supplies like prescriptions and are also delivering pensions to those who are cocooning.
- Cork City Partnership are running ‘Friendly Call Cork’, a free service that involves providing a daily phone call to older people or individuals who may feel lonely, isolated, or who are living with chronic illnesses and cannot engage with the community in an active way.
- Cork City Partnership are also supplying books, jigsaws, and food hampers with ‘Feed Cork’ to individuals and families that currently need their help.
- Meals on wheels are delivering the paper along with their meals so that those using their services can keep up to date with the latest news.
- Prior to Covid 19, Alcoholics Anonymous support meetings were held for 70-100 people twice a day every day in the Middle Parish Community Centre. The group are being supported with the addition of new health and safety conditions – service users meet with their team leaders in small groups and in a place where they feel comfortable and safe. Special care is given to sanitising of door handles, chairs, tables, and used items are disposed of to ensure the health and safety for all.
- Two local cocooning residents and members of the Middle Parish Committee have made 800 + face masks that have been distributed to as far away as Galway. These are supplied free of charge. Brand new material has also been donated to help them continue their great work.
Cork City Council Community Response Forum Lead, Ruth Lynch said: “I’d like to thank our wonderful volunteers and community groups for their trojan work these past few months. Please remember that Cork City’s Community Response Forum are still here to support anyone who needs our help, whether this is picking up shopping and medicine or the delivery of library books – you can call us on 1800-222-226 or email [email protected]”
Want to get €5, absolutely free? Sign up to the ‘Smart’ Debit Card – Curve today, and earn a fiver on us! Find out more here.