Quantcast
Breaking News





Today the HPSC confirms a further 53 cases of COVID-19 in the Republic of Ireland.

No further deaths are being reported today.

Statement from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre:

There have been no new deaths reported to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre today.

There has now been a total of 1,777 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.

As of midnight Sunday 30th August, the HPSC has been notified of 53 confirmed cases of COVID-19. There is now a total of 28,811* confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.

Of the cases notified today;

  • 28 are men / 25 are women
  • 75% are under 45 years of age
  • 27 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
  • 14 cases have been identified as community transmission
  • 25 in Dublin, 11 in Limerick and the remaining 17 cases are located in Kildare, Longford, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Laois, Meath, Roscommon, Tipperary, Westmeath.

The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.

The COVID-19 Dashboard provides up-to-date information on the key indicators of COVID-19 in the community.

Dr Ronan Glynn, Acting Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said;This evening, I want to recognise the very significant impact of the measures on individuals, communities and businesses in Kildare over the past three weeks. The improvement in the epidemiological situation there is a testament to the willingness of everyone to adhere to the public health guidance and measures implemented.

“At a meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team today, NPHET thanked people in Kildare – and in Laois and Offaly previously – for their forbearance and noted that their actions are a demonstration, and a further reminder, of what can be achieved through collective action as we continue to strike a balance between living our lives and behaving in a way that protects one another.”

Dr Siobhán Ni Bhriain, Consultant Psychiatrist and Integrated Care Lead HSE, said; “As we continue through the school year, we expect cases and these will be responded to rapidly, tailored to that outbreak and led by public health doctors. These public health doctors will communicate with school staff and parents as indicated.”

Rachel Kenna, Chief Nursing Officer, Department of Health said; “We can all support parents and school children in our communities by following public health advice. We all have a responsibility to keep our schools open by applying this advice to our daily lives. Remember the key protective behaviours, regular hand washing, physical distance, wearing face coverings where appropriate, reduce your social contacts, know the symptoms and know when to isolate.”

Dr Sumi Dunne, General Practitioner, said; “We are aware that this is an anxious time for parents and guardians. GPs across the country are here to support them. If you feel your child is unwell, outside of a blocked/runny nose and seasonal sneezing, please do not send them into school. Keep them at home, restrict your movements and make contact with your GP.”

*Validation of data at the HPSC has resulted in the denotification of 2 confirmed cases. The figure of 28,811 confirmed cases reflects this.


Want to get €5, absolutely free? Sign up to the ‘Smart’ Debit Card – Curve today, and earn a fiver on us! Find out more here.