Today the HPSC confirms a further 127 cases of COVID-19 in the Republic of Ireland.
This brings the total number of confirmed cases in Ireland to 28,578.
No further deaths are being reported today.
Statement from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre:
There have been no new deaths reported to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre today.
There has been a total of 1,777 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.
As of midnight Thursday 27th August, the HPSC has been notified of 127 confirmed cases of COVID-19. There is now a total of 28,578* confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.
Of the cases notified today;
- 70 are men / 57 are women
- 80% are under 45 years of age
- 66 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
- 8 cases have been identified as community transmission
- 52 in Dublin, 13 in Monaghan, 9 in Tipperary, 8 in Meath, 8 in Wexford, 8 in Roscommon and the remaining 29 are located in Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny, Limerick, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Waterford, Westmeath and Wicklow.
The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.
The COVID-19 Dashboard provides up-to-date information on the key indicators of COVID-19 in the community.
Dr. Ronan Glynn, Acting Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said; “While the number of people in critical care remains stable we have seen an additional 8 people hospitalised in the last 24 hours.
“If cases continue to rise we will see an inevitable increase in the number of people hospitalised. We all have a role to play in preventing that from happening.
“This weekend it is vital that people play their part by decreasing social contacts. Do not drop your guard just because you are meeting people close to you. Remember that just because somebody looks and feels well, that does not mean they are COVID free.”
*Validation of data at the HPSC has resulted in the denotification of 1 confirmed cases. The figure of 28,578 confirmed cases reflects this.
Want to get €5, absolutely free? Sign up to the ‘Smart’ Debit Card – Curve today, and earn a fiver on us! Find out more here.